From Samantha Milson
Swedish Cinnamon Buns
1 Hour | Makes 10-12 Small Buns
What You’ll Need for Dough:
- 2/3 cup milk plus 1/2 tablespoon
- 6 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon Ground Cardamom (I put a little extra – but up to taste)
- 1 packet yeast ( 2 ¼ teaspoon)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ¾ cup flour – plus extra for dusting
- Egg wash (1 egg with 1 tablespoon of water)
What You’ll Need for Filling:
- 7 tablespoons very soft butter
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup sugar
How to Make It:
- Combine milk, butter, and any spices (if using) in a small pan and heat until the butter has melted. Leave to cool down to just above room temp. and dissolve the yeast into the milk – let stand as long as yeast packet says (usually 10 min)
- Transfer the mix to a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the egg, sugar, salt and flour. And knead for about 10 minutes or until very smooth, shiny, and elastic. The dough should come clean off the sides of the bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean dish towel and leave to rise for 30-40 minutes or until double in size.
- Follow instructions for sweet dough flavored with cardamom. After the dough had been left to rise, roll out on lightly floured surface to a rectangle.
- Use spatula to spread and even layer of soft butter. Leave 1 ½ in clear border along the long edge furthest away from you. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar all over the butter.
- Fold dough rectangle length wise (long edge to long edge) and using a sharp knife cut into 1 -1.2 wide stripes. Gently pick up a strip and stretch it out and wrap around two fingers twice and tuck the end underneath. Place each knot into a paper case (muffin case paper) and transfer to a baking sheet.
- You can also just roll the dough into a log lengthwise and cut as traditional cinnamon rolls.
- Cover the buns with clean dish towel and leave to rise for 25 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400. Brush buns very lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with pearl sugar (optional). Bake them for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
Back to Home